Simplifying Science Descipher Logo   
Drug or Toxic Substance:
Do need help with a possible poisoning or toxicity?
Have you experienced a drug reaction?

Information displayed below is a subset of the entire knowledge base and may be incomplete intensionally or inadvertently. If you detect a serious error or want access to the complete knowledge base, please contact us.


Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid with a sweet odor. It is used as a solvent in many industrial processes, including paint and varnish removers, adhesives, and printing inks. MEK is also used as a fuel additive and as a solvent in the production of pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and other chemicals.

MEK is toxic when inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin. Exposure to high concentrations of MEK can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs, as well as dizziness, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Long-term exposure to MEK can cause liver and kidney damage.

Associated brand names:
  ▸ Butanox
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Peroxide
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Phenol
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Resin
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Solvent
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Thinner
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Xylene
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Xylene-Peroxide
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Xylene-Resin
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Xylene-Solvent
  ▸ Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Xylene-Thinner

  • butan-2-one
  • ethyl methyl ketone
  • MEK
  • methyl ethyl ketone
  • solvent

Detailed Disease Information (use the search buttons below to find details on these topics from other web sources)
All of the following must be considered when interpreting clinical findings and are too extensive to be covered on this site: