Information displayed below is a subset of the entire knowledge base and may be incorrect, or incomplete intensionally or inadvertently. If you detect a serious error or want access to the complete knowledge base, please contact us.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans and animals when inhaled. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as gasoline, natural gas, wood, and coal. When inhaled, CO binds to hemoglobin in the blood, forming carboxyhemoglobin, which reduces the amount of oxygen that can be carried in the bloodstream. This can lead to a variety of symptoms, including headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, and even death. Long-term exposure to low levels of CO can also lead to permanent damage to the heart and brain.
All of the following must be considered when interpreting clinical findings and are too extensive to be covered on this site: